Monday, February 6, 2017

Kitsch Collectables-Miss Ponytail and Miss Traveler Cases

As a novelty purse fanatic I spend a lot of time perusing vintage bags, purses and cases on easy and ebay.   My ideal purse isn't one of those chic subtle leather ones:



What I want is the wackiest, craziest, kitschiest novelty hand bag out there: dogs, cats fish, coconuts, crazy sayings etc.


 

 


 I've learned over the years to not limit my online handbag searches to traditional adult hand bags, but rather to look outside the box and search for things like travel cases, sewing bags, book bags, lunch boxes, hat boxes, and most of all children's bags.  That last search item is how I discovered Miss. Ponytail.  

Miss Ponytail, and Miss Traveler by Ponytail, are Barbie like teen queen character who appeared on diaries, record cases, travel bags, purses, and lunch boxes in the 1950s and 60s.

 
 





I knew I wanted a Miss Traveler or Miss Ponytail bag in my collection but I wanted it to be the right one for the right price.   It took me  a while but I found the perfect specimens on ebay and even bargained the seller down!





It's a Miss Traveler case and spiffy young Miss Traveler with her adorable pill box hat and Jackie Kennedy like bob is accompanied by a charming well groomed poodle.  As a poodle mom I knew this was the case for me.  It really made me think of a 1960s airline stewardesses, a look I admire




So using my 1940s style pinafore dress from The Black Pinafore  (you can read about it in this post) I put together a  cute 60s sort of look 











22 comments:

  1. Oh my Mum is droooooling over those bags…apparently she WANTS them ALL!!!!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh at the prices on those Sears handbags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! And you are telling me that I have the best stuff! Not at all Kate: you DO! Those Miss Ponytail and Miss Traveler case are seriously drool-worthy. I do have a couple of Barbie cases (as I collect vintage Barbie stuff), which I might share sometime. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well only the Poodle one is mine the rey are just pics I've found

      Delete
  4. That is such a cute bag! Poodle makes it even cuter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your outfit ❤
    Your bag is really sweet. I have a Sindy vanity case, but there's nothing on it saying Sindy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute look! I love your outfit and love the new bag you just got. Congrats on scoring just the right one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to find just the right vintage isn't it

      Delete
  7. Youre right, that is the perfect handbag for you!
    So many things were made with style and personality back then.
    Looks great with your outfit.
    Lynne x
    Ps, it would be a dream come true to illustrate a recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of personality and humor is why I hate modern clothes

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a great collection! I'm seriously coveting that Jackie bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only own the oodles one I love the Jackie if I ever find one for a hood price I'm nabbing it

      Delete
  9. Kitschy purses are the best! I 100% agree with you on that :) I too have wanted one of these purses for my collection as well, but they have alluded me so far. High five to finding an awesome one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid I am the chic subtle leather bag type, as you may have noticed, but I do like your Miss Traveller one, that's really cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This case is adorable! I'm not a plain bag person either, although I tend to be somewhere in the middle these days, but I've had some over the top ones in the past! The other examples you showed are all adorable. I think my bag collection needs to grow a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic.
    leather sling bag

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...